Friday, August 23, 2013

An introduction to Honduras

     This week began my first introduction to the wild, wonderful land of Honduras. Culture shock doesn't even begin to describe my first day in Tegucigalpa. The city is a rolling sprawl of raw humanity across a bumpy landscape of green and brown. Surrounding the city are rugged hills (Or colinas) covered in houses, trees, antenna towers, and to my utmost astonishment wind turbines.
     After landing and clearing customs (Substantially easier than U.S. Customs I might add), I walked out into the arrival area and was immediately washed in a cacophony of sound, color, and heat. I was supposed to meet Lidia Salinas here, the regional director for the ProTECTOR project I was volunteering with (More on ProTECTOR later). As I sat waiting in a strange country for a woman I had never met before, surrounded by people speaking a language I did not know, and sweltering under a very hot sun in 100% humidity, I could not help but wonder what in the world I was doing here. Me, a fresh out of college, ignorant American from Washington State in the bustling, tropical city of Tegucigalpa, Honduras. What was I thinking? After a period of waiting (Mostly consisting of me attempting to fend of taxi cabs wanting a fair) I eventually met Lidia's sister Anna who had come to pick me up. Next came the most exhilarating car ride of my life. If you can imagine an intricate, but disjointed dance of cars, buses, people, and motorcycles all attempting to occupy the same place at the same time with no regard to any traffic laws, you can begin to get an idea of what driving in Tegucigalpa is like. We zipped through narrow alleyways, over crumbling bridges, and past dozens of native's selling produce and knickknacks. Evidence of decay and disarray was all about: bumpy roads, polluted rivers, disheveled houses, and yet great beauty existed here as well. From the broken pavement and behind the barbed wire fence sprang beautiful flowers of vivid hues and enormous size. Beautiful niños and niñas in their school uniform laughed as they walked to school. Quaint tourist shops and local business rang with animated conversation laughter. In the midst of chaos life flourishes.
     That night I went out to the supermercado to buy groceries for the week and to find something for dinner. Food! I can barely describe how luscious and delicious Honduran food is. Fried plantains, fresh pineapple, and bananas right off the vine. Frijoles, tostadas, and tacos slathered with queso and fresh aquacartes. The people of Honduras truly know how to eat. That night I ate something incredible. Not sure exactly what I was eating, but it had fried plantains, lettuce, some amazing sauce, in a fried churro wrap. It was also a foot long. Needless to say it tasted amazing after a long plane trip and crazy day. In addition to this unknown tasty churro thing I had a cup of horchata, a sweet drink of rice, cinnamon, and sucar. It was a bit too sweet for me but very tasty. I went back to the room where I was staying that night, took pictures of the surrounding city, and collapsed in exhaustion on my bed. (Note: I will not be able to post a ton of pictures due to the slowness of my internet connection)

Tegucigalpa


   

1 comment:

  1. great post, wish I could be there to experience this culture and geography with you! Papa

    ReplyDelete