Saturday, August 30, 2014

Recollections and memories

      Well I have but one week left till I leave Honduras bound for home. By the time I leave I will have completed 140 dives, ID'd 66+ turtles, spent 17 hours staring at turtles underwater, and eaten more than enough baleadas, macaroni, and peanut butter to last a lifetime. Island life certainly has it's upsides (i.e. diving, easy access to beach, incredible fruit), but after a while monotony begins to set in, with every day resembling the last and nothing to do when you're not diving. Needless to say, I am very happy to go home, and I will bring back with me many memories and stories (If anything can go wrong in research it will go wrong) that probably should end up in a book someday. I have most definitely come away from this summer having a substantially deeper appreciation for the underwater creation. So much life, lying just beneath the waves, that most of don't even realize exists. In addition to the memories, I also bring back a whole assortment of random photos from my adventures on the island to astound and astonish anyone that cares to look at them. For your enjoyment, I have posted several of these pictures below (Some of these photos are from my fellow research Dustin Baumbach).

P.S. I will put up a final post at the end of next week giving a more substantial reflection of my time here, my research, the environment, and Honduras in general.

Me during a particularly wet morning on the way out to a dive

 A sea cucumber

 Brain coral

 Sea anemone

 Large Moray eel

 Seed pods from mangrove trees

 Vase sponge

 Brain Sponge

 Puffer fish

 Yellowline Arrow Crab

 Me in my diving regalia (And yeah I look a tad bit ridiculous)

 Christmas tree worm

 Channel Crab (About the size of my backpack)

 Two brittle stars in a vase sponge

Angelfish beside a brown tube sponge

1 comment: