Sunday, August 17, 2014

The incredible individuality and character of creation

     One of the most marvelous things I have been pondering recently is the sheer individuality and variety displayed in creation. I will use the hawksbill sea turtle as an example (hm, I wonder why) When the average person looks at a sea turtle, they think "hm that is a beautiful animal, I do believe it is a turtle" and if by chance they happen to know their sea turtle species (Yeah!) their thought process may be along the lines of "oh look it's a turtle and oh, I see it happens to have a curvy beak like a hawk and a serated shell. I bet it's a hawksbill (Don't I feel so scientific)". If, however, you make a daily job out of staring sea turtles (And particularly hawksbills) underwater for extended times (13 hours, 8 minutes, and 58 seconds total), you start to notice other amazing things. Every sea turtle you will ever see (Which, yes I realize may not be very many for those of you reading from the Midwest), is a unique individual that is entirely distinct from every other turtle out there (even individuals of the same species). Scratches on the carapace, unique birthmarks on the face, the space between individual facial scutes (Large scales), anatomical proportions. All these and more distinguish every living turtle from another. One of the most telltale marks that makes identification of hawksbill individuals much faster is the pattern of coloration on the beak. Similar to the dark spot coloration on the labrum (Lip) of wasps, (And yeah I'm a nerd), every hawksbill has a unique pattern of dark coloration on their beak that acts as a sort of name tag for the turtle. Don't believe? Take a look at the following 3 pictures and tell me I'm wrong. Think of it as a count the differences game. The differences are staggering. Like humans, every turtle has it's own face and (Potentially) personality to go along with it. So much so that I can use a digital program (I3s pattern) to distinguish between turtles via the scute pattern.



(And yes in case your wondering I have spent way too long looking at turtle faces)

The real crazy question is why? Why did God not create turtles all with the same scutes? It surely would have been simpler and easier? Is their some sort of adaptive advantage to these patterns as in the wasps (i.e. indicates a level of social status)? Not as far as I can see, but who know? My theory is God made every turtle with it's own scutes and unique characteristics simply because he wanted to. To show his love, his power, and infinite mind, he lavished his creativity on all His creatures. 

Psalm 104:24
"O Lord, how manifold are your works! In wisdom have you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. here is the sea, great and wide, which teems with creatures innumerable, living things both small and great."

No comments:

Post a Comment