Thursday, June 12, 2014

A home amongst the fishes

   Well I successfully made it to Roatán, Honduras and have been busy getting settled, diving, and attempting to survive the excruciating heat. I am staying in a ramshackle (And very Honduran) house in the town of West End, which as the name aptly says is located at the west end of the chili shaped island. Honduras and its bay islands counter to what you might think, runs east and west rather than north and south giving the country and the islands large north and south coasts (So no east west coast thing like the US). Anyway the diving here has, needless to say been incredible. Went down 50 ft or so and saw all sorts of beautiful creatures including several barracuda (Sphyraena), an invasive but beautiful lionfish (Pterois volitans) (note: I didn't touch the spines full neurotoxins), and a beautiful sub-adult green turtle (Chelonia mydas). The day, was, needless to say, a great success and great fun was had by all (at least I think it was). Had a delicious dinner prepared by my prof of boiled pinto beans (so much better than from a can), rice, fried green bannanas (incredible), and chilled cucumbers covered in mango juice from the mango trees outside. Also went snorkeling the day before around the iron shore (Composed of dead coral reefs from ages gone by). Anyway I need to go finish a take home test for my behavioral ecology course and thus end my Spring quarter. To all you visual folks out there, I will post some pictures tomorrow so don't fret.
Adios from Honduras!

No comments:

Post a Comment